Subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date.
Get in touch with us!
Welcome to the Swiss Family Clinic!
What we do
WHAT TO EXPECT
What might happen when you come to see us
BEFORE THE APPOINTMENT
- We will already have received a referral from the health professional, so no need to bring this.
- What you will need to bring: your Medicare card, any relevant reports (e.g. school reports, assessments by other health professionals like OT, Speech therapy, Paediatricians), payment for the appointment.
- At the time of making the booking, our friendly reception staff will advise you of likely fees.
AT THE FIRST APPOINTMENT
- Initial appointment: typically 1-1.5 hours. Please come at least 20 minutes prior to your first appointment, to allow time for some initial paperwork.
- You’ll be seen together with your child, or even the whole family.
- We also allow for individuals within your family to be seen separately, if they’re comfortable and happy to. Sometimes talking to a stranger is overwhelming for young people, so we have a range of ways of engaging them, with play, games, creative and fun activities to help make this easier!
- Many questions will focus on your child’s physical, emotional, and mental health. We will want to understand about their growth and development, social skills, about the family, schooling and much more.
- We’ll discuss who else – with the parent’s permission – is suitable to provide feedback on your situation, for example, the young person’s school teacher.
- Some parents bring a list of important information or questions they want to cover.
- We’ll often provide feedback around initial ideas and plans, as well as recommend a therapeutic approach for moving forward.
- It’s at this appointment where together we’ll discuss if the Swiss Family Clinic is the right service to meet your needs on an ongoing basis.
- Payment must be made on the day. Credit card and EFTPOS are preferred, cash and cheque are also accepted. You’ll be given information on how to claim Medicare rebates for the session.
- The main aim of this first appointment is for you and your child to discuss worries, concerns or problems you want to talk about.
AT SUBSEQUENT APPOINTMENTS
- We will continue the assessment and treatment process, providing regular updates on progress.
- We also aim to provide timely feedback to your referrer – written, by phone, or sometimes both.
- If at any stage you or we feel that the Swiss Family Clinic is not the best fit for you and your family, we’ll happily discuss with you alternatives.
- To make sure we offer the best possible service, we will sometimes ask you about your experience with us. We welcome feedback at any time.
MEET THE TEAM
Mental health clinicians of the highest quality
FOR HEALTH PROFESSIONALS
Contact us to discuss referrals directly with our friendly staff
WHAT WE ACCEPT REFERRALS FOR
- Mood disorders, such as depression
- Anxiety disorders, including separation anxiety, OCD, phobias
- Trauma-related problems
- Behavioural problems
- Parenting and family relationship difficulties
- Peer relationship difficulties and bullying, school avoidance
- Complex or undifferentiated disorders for assessment
- Psychotherapy: individual, family, small group
WHAT WE ARE UNABLE TO ACCEPT REFERRALS FOR
- Where risk to self or others is present
- Patients requiring inpatient admission
- Medicolegal assessments or reports, including Family Court and Forensic assessments
- Eating Disorders
- Drug and alcohol problems
WHAT WE MAY SEE IN CONJUNCTION WITH EXTERNAL PROVIDERS
- Neurodevelopmental disorders, including ADHD and Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Somatoform disorders
- Mental health problems related to chronic medical conditions
- Problems related to gender identity and sexuality
- Emerging Personality Disorders (noting our statement regarding risk)
Frequently asked questions
We are a private billing service and are unable to offer Bulk Billing. Each practitioner has their own fee structure, will be discussed when you book the appointment. Fees may be subject to change on the advice of the specialist. All patients are requested to make payments in full on the day of appointment, via credit or debit card, cash, cheque or eftpos. Once the account is settled in full on the day you will be issued a receipt to submit to Medicare. Alternatively, simply swipe your Medicare card using Medicare Easyclaim and you you will get an immediate refund of the Medicare rebate, so you essentially pay just the difference between the clinician fee and what Medicare gives.
Our different clinicians are eligible for Medicare rebates, which vary depending on their specialty. Below is some information to help understand this, but more detailed information is available through the Human Services website, https://www.humanservices.gov.au
Useful information on Medicare rebates and safety nets is also available at https://www.mydr.com.au/first-aid-self-care/australian-health-system-how-it-works.
Medicare rebates are available for Clinical Psychology services provided under a Mental Health Care Plan. This Plan is a referral that is completed by a GP and provides access to Medicare rebates for up to 10 individual sessions per person, per calendar year.
Your referring GP will schedule a return visit to review your progress after the first six psychological therapy sessions. At this point your GP can provide a referral for an additional four sessions, if required.
Medicare rebates are also available to patients referred by a GPunder the Better Access to Psychiatrists, Psychologists and General Practitioners through the Medicare Benefits Schedule (or “Better Access”) initiative. When referred by another Psychiatrist or Paediatrician only a referral letter is required.
For more information visit the Human Services website.
As Accredited Mental Health Social Workers, all of our Social Work clinicians are eligible to access Medicare rebates: https://www.aasw.asn.au/document/item/6053
The Medicare Better Access initiative allows GPs to refer patients for Mental Health treatment with our superb therapists – something less widely known by clinicians and the general public!
We have a strict 24 hour cancellation policy. Any cancellations or changes must be made more than 24 hours prior to your appointment, otherwise the full fee will be charged. Cancellations or changes can occur prior to this by contacting our friendly staff.
For an overall view of how the Australian health system functions, and various funding sources, visit https://www.mydr.com.au/first-aid-self-care/australian-health-system-how-it-works
Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists: https://www.ranzcp.org
Beyond Blue: https://www.beyondblue.org.au
Impressions from our clinic